Birds In Your Garden

Notes On Birdwatching In My Garden

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Kingfisher Delight

Outside my backyard is a private lane serving the backs of the houses, and immediately on the other side is a small stream, Osbaldwick Beck.

I don't spend much time watching it but, this morning, before breakfast, I stood by the beck, smoking my pipe. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, something flew rapidly upstream. I saw no colour on it, so thought it might be a Wren.

Common KingfisherBut, two minutes later, back it flew, the brilliant blue flashing in the early morning light. A Kingfisher!

To my delight, it alighted on a branch over the beck and stayed there for about half a minute watching the water before continuing its flight upstream.


I've lived in my present house for 18 years, and this is only the third Kingfisher I've seen on Osbaldwick Beck.

What a great way to start the day!

Check out my website, Birds In Your Garden for a growing list of articles on garden and backyard birdwatching.

1 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Blogger Sucheta Potnis said...

Hello,

I saw this blog and was delighted. I live in Goa, India and a house with a large garden that attracts many birds.

There are 2/3 pairs of white-breasted Kingfishers who nest in my garden and are a source of continuous joy.

Among the other birds I can watch regularly just outside my window are - Red Vented Bulbuls, Golden Orioles, Marshall's Iora, Different sunbirds, Red Turtle Dove, Little Brown dove - ah - so many more!

I look foward to reading your blogs - have to go through the old ones too.

Many thanks and best regards

Sucheta Potnis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home